This FAQ document will be updated throughout the semester.
Is STAT 432 online?
- STAT 432 will be online in Fall 2020.
- If the semester is “normal” and COVID-19 is no longer an issue, office hours will be in person and exams will be in the CBTF. (With possible changes based on guidance from the University.) Everything else will be online.
- If we have another COVID semester, fully online of course.
What programming language is used in STAT 432?
- R. Students will be required to use R to complete assignments.
I can’t register, what should I do?
- First, know that as an instructor, I (David) have no control over the registration for the course.
- Second, see here: https://stat.illinois.edu/fall-2020-registration-information
- If you are a student that is restricted from registering until the first week of instruction, you are welcome to follow along at the course website: https://stat432.org.
- Plan to follow along and complete the assignments, however, doing so does not guarantee registration. It simply makes adding the course an easier transition if a seat becomes available.
- While being unregistered, you will be able to complete all assignments before Exam I which will be quizzes in the PrairieLearn system.
- Third, know that it does not matter if you register for STAT 432 or ASRM 451. (If you have a STAT 432 requirement, ASRM 451 will satisfy that requirement, and vice versa.) Be sure to keep an eye on both courses.
- Lastly, pay no attention to any numbers associated with enrollment. You can either register or not. Do not try to interpret the numbers you see.
There are open spots for undergraduates, but not for graduates. Can you move an undergraduate spot to graduate? (Or the reverse.)
- Please refer back to the previous question. I have no control over registration for the course. You would have to contact the Statistics department if you would like to request they do this. (This is not a statement suggesting that they will.)
I just registered but I do not have access to Compass. Can you add me?
- Please be patient. You will be automatically added within 24 hours, if not, please contact the instructor.
I’ve never programmed before, can I register for STAT 432?
I’ve never programmed in R before, can I register for STAT 432?
- Yes, but be willing to put in a lot of additional time.